1. dautrich
  2. Sherlock Holmes The Voice
  3. Commercial Templates
  4. Sunday, 07 June 2020
  5.  Subscribe via email
I’ve set up a site using Skylar template and get 403 errors in at least three different scenarios. The site has some minor user CSS in custom.css.

Site setup:
- There is only one public page, like a portal, as the site root. It shows some infos about the site and a login form.
- There are also two pages for Legal Disclosure and Privacy Declaration, available from the footer menu, but these don’t matter here.
- Any other content is only visible for logged in users. Technically, all respective articles and menu items are set to access level “Registered”.
- One of the menu items is of type “Menu Heading” and is used to display a submenu.

403 errors show up in these cases for logged-in users:
1. When he clicks on the site title.
2. When he closes his browser without logging out.
3. When he clicks on the menu item of type “Menu Heading”. (There is no error, when he clicks to a submenu item.)
In any case, the site remains unusable until the previously logged-in user’s session is killed in Joomla backend. I even experienced some situations where I had to deactivate and reactivate the respective user.

As a temporary solution for 1. I've removed the title link from inc/layouts/logo.php.
As a temporary solution for 3. I've prepared a dummy article and display a "Single Article" instead of a "Memu Heading".

I’ve prepared a demo site with only a minimum of content, but containing the complete site structure. I also prepared a test user (User Name: test / password: test) and a Superuser (User Name and Password will be sent to info@joomla51.com).
Attachments (3)
References
  1. https://systemtest.nickdautrich.de/
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Hello

It is rare that 403 errors would be related to the template. They usually indicate a user trying to access a resource that they do not have the rights to. An example would be opening an article with access set to 'registered' by a non-logged in user. Just to confirm that this is a template related issue, could you try enabling one of the default Joomla templates (Protostar) and see if the issue still exists.

Ciaran
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Commercial Templates
  3. # 1
Votes
Undo
Hello Ciaran,

I've changed the template to Protostar. That gave the following findings:

Clicking on the site title:
- When not logged in, everything is okay.
- When logged in, a 403 is thrown. The frontend is unusable. I have to kill the user session to make it usable again.
- The problem can be solved for me by removing the <a>-tag in index.php (or in logo.php). No issue for my site.
- Do you see this as a bug in Joomla? If yes, I should report it.

Closing the browser
- When not logged in, everything is okay.
- When logged in, a 403 is thrown. The frontend is unusable. I have to kill the user session to make it usable again.
- For my website, this is a serious problem.
- Do you see this as a bug in Joomla? If yes, I should report it.

Clicking on the menu item of type “Menu Heading”
- In Protostar, a menu item of this type is not clickable (s. attachment).
- In Skylar, such a menu item is clickable and throws a 403.
- Your template behaves differently from Protostar.
- I can resolve the issue by using a dummy article and changing the menu item to type "Single Article". This is not elegant, but works.

If you want to play with my site, feel free to use the credentials I sent to you via e-mail.

Kind regards,

Rolf
Attachments (1)
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Commercial Templates
  3. # 2
Votes
Undo
Hi Rolf

May I suggest sending temporary administration access to your Joomla installation to info@joomla51.com and we will examine this issue further. For our reference please paste a link to this post in your email.

Ciaran
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Commercial Templates
  3. # 3
Votes
Undo
Thank you Rolf

The issue appears to be related to your permissions. I have amended your 'registered' access and all appears to be now working correctly.

Ciaran
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Commercial Templates
  3. # 4
Votes
Undo
Can you pls explain what you have done to my registered access?

Thx, Rolf
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Commercial Templates
  3. # 5
Votes
Undo
I just tested, but the issues remain as described.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Commercial Templates
  3. # 6
Votes
Undo
Hi Rolf

On which user are you having this issue?

Ciaran
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Commercial Templates
  3. # 7
Votes
Undo
With all users. I tested with users 'rolf', 'test', and 'dautrich' (Super User).
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Commercial Templates
  3. # 8
Votes
Undo
Hello

When we log in to your site with test we can access all menu items under 'Jahre'. Was this part of your original issue?

Ciaran
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Commercial Templates
  3. # 9
Votes
Undo
No, if you click on the submenu items, it works. But if you click on "Jahre", the site throws a 403.

In Protostar the menu item "Jahre" is not clickable, in Skylar it is clickable.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Commercial Templates
  3. # 10
Votes
Undo
Hello

I have changed your "Jahre" menu item to a separator which resolves the issue. The menu heading was linking back to your homepage, however as your homepage menu item is only allowed to guests, it was giving you a 403 error.

Ciaran
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Commercial Templates
  3. # 11
Votes
Undo
Hi Ciaran,

I appreciate your help. Setting the menu item "Jahre" to separator solved the issue.

I also set the menu item for the homepage to access level "Public". Originally, I didn't want this menu item to appear when logged in (therefore the access level "Guest";), but I can live very well with the "Public".

You can set the issue to "closed".

Thanks and best regards,
Rolf
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Commercial Templates
  3. # 12
Votes
Undo
Hi Ciaran,

do you still need access to my site? If no, I can change the admin password or remove the test site completely.

Regards,

Rolf
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Commercial Templates
  3. # 13
Votes
Undo
Hi Rolf

No, we no longer need access to your site. You can now change admin account password.

Ciaran
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Commercial Templates
  3. # 14
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!

Join Our Newsletter

* indicates required
We respect your privacy and do not tolerate spam and will never sell, rent, lease or give away your information (name, email, number, etc.) to any third party. Nor will we send you unsolicited email.
Joomla51 - Mullaghmore, Co. Sligo, Ireland
Joomla51.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Joomla! Project or Open Source Matters.
The Joomla! name and logo is used under a limited license granted by
Open Source Matters
the trademark holder in the United States and other countries.

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.

Ok